Like any home appliance, air conditioners need a little TLC to deliver optimal performance. It's the ACs that haven't been kept in top-notch condition that tend to struggle most in heat.
To make sure you don't lose your cool once the weather warms up, we asked the experts at Customer Reports and air conditioner pros to identify the most typical issues that emerge with window and main air conditioners. They highlighted 8 issues to repair now. Plus, you'll discover our list of leading a/c for little, medium, and big spaces, below.
The No. 1 problem affects both window units and central AC systems, and-- we're happy to report-- it's the easiest to repair. Here are 8 concerns to ask that will assist you keep your A/C at peak efficiency all summertime long.
1. Is the Filter Dirty?
No matter which type of ac system you have, a blocked filter restricts airflow, decreasing performance and lowering the capability to successfully cool the air. If you have not cleaned the filter in your window or portable ac system recently, make sure you do and then check it occasionally. For main A/C systems, inspect the filter producer's recommendation for when to swap in a new one. In CR's tests, filters last anywhere from 3 to 12 months.
Simply bear in mind that if your system is running continuously or if you have animals, you will need to change your filters regularly. "When we get calls about main air systems that aren't working well, 9 times out of 10 it's since of a dirty filter," says Stewart Unsdorfer, owner of Central Heating & Cooling in Cleveland.
What Matters to You Matters to United States
We evaluate thousands of products so you can create your finest house.
2. Is It Too Sunny Within?
If your window Air Conditioning is in a window that gets direct sunlight in the heat of the day, it'll need to work more difficult to cool your area. If you have a choice, move it to a shadier spot. If not, keep your shades and drapes drawn throughout the day to block the sun and prevent it from warming up your home.
3. Is Warm Air Leaking In? Examine the seals around your window A/C to ensure hot air isn't getting in (or cold air isn't seeping out). Reseal around your unit with weather condition removing if required.
" Many new window systems feature insulation panels to put over the plastic adjustable side panels," says Chris Regan, CR's senior air conditioner tester. "However to optimize effectiveness, you'll still need to use weather condition removing around the boundary of the unit. And constantly utilize the producer's installation and safety hardware."
4. Is Your Window Air Conditioner Vibrating? A/c make lots of noise, consisting of from the whir of the fan and the noise of the compressor cycling on and off. These sounds are normal. But if you hear a vibrating sound, it might imply that your unit was set up improperly. Make sure it's sitting securely in the window and examine the setup instructions in your owner's handbook to confirm that no steps were missed.
Central AC List
5. Is the Thermostat on the Right Setting?
With a wise or programmable thermostat, you can more easily manage the temperature level in your home so that it's comfortable when you exist and a bit warmer when you're not. If the temperature level seems off, make sure the thermostat isn't exposed to direct sunshine, which may cause it to sign up the incorrect temperature.
6. Are the Registers Dirty or Blocked?
If you have a forced-air heating & cooling system, frequently vacuum the registers to remove any dust accumulation. Ensure that furniture and other things aren't obstructing the airflow through your signs up.
7. Are Plants Crowding the Compressor?
The outside compressor for central air requires sufficient airflow to work correctly, so make certain there's at least 2 to 3 feet of space between the compressor and any plants or structures. There must also be 5 feet of clearance between the top of the system and any trees above.
8. Did You Remember the Annual Examination? An evaluation by a HVAC (heating, ventilation, and cooling) service technician can catch any severe problems before they worsen and leave you hot and bothered. The technician will examine all the moving parts, in addition to the refrigerant, and recharge the system if needed.
Need a New AC?
If your space ac system is beyond repair, you can discover one that did well in our tests for just around $200 for a little unit and upwards of $800 for a big one. Ensure you match the size of the air Go here conditioner to the space it's implied to cool. Listed below, we note models in each size that carried out well in CR's tests. You can find more in our complete a/c unit ratings.